omni
fmca
Brickyard Plantation Golf Club & RV Park

Brickyard Plantation Golf Club & RV Park

Phone 229-874-1234
Fax 229-874-6521
Forward to a Friend
Email this company
Contact:
1619 US HWY 280 EAST
AMERICUS, GA 31709
During and before "The War Between the States" the property now occupied by Brickyard Plantation Golf Club was owned by James M. (Jim) Johnson, the great grandfather to the current owner, Mary Lillian Johnson Clark.

Today she and her husband, W. N. Clark, can trace back seven generations of ownership. The present acreage is 800 acres of the original 7000 acres. Until about 1950 it was farmed by mules. Crops grown were peanuts, cotton and wheat. The plantation had its own cotton gin, commissary, blacksmith shop, cane mill and many houses for the local labor. Bricks were used for these houses and they were made on the farm.

In 1977 plans were made for a 7 acre pond to be built for fishing. A friend suggested a couple of golf holes be built around the lake. This catapulted into 9 holes and then came the question of a name for the course. When construction of the pond began the kiln and other artifacts of brick making were discovered. This is where the brick came from for the buildings on the plantation.

Many years before removal of dirt from that wet weather hole had created a swimming hole which the local kids referred to as the "Brickyard Hole". For want of a name, the second golf course ever built in Sumter County was called Brickyard Plantation Golf Club. Today it is a semi-private course and welcomes all to come play this challenging 27 hole facility.

In keeping with the plantation theme, the pro shop is housed in an actual mule barn. This barn was located from another area on the farm and remodeled to accommodate the pro shop, snack bar and office. The "Hay Loft" is used for meetings, receptions and other outings. Also, bricks are used as tee markers on the course.

During the construction of the course in the dense thick wooded areas, five moonshine stills were discovered. These contraptions had not been used in many years; but old clay jars were found in the debris. The course is divided into three nine holes. Each course name depicts the terrain of the course.

The Ditches and Waters were named due to the many water hazards dictated during construction and the Mounds were named due to the many berms and bunkers created in this open field. The original course consisted of nine holes in 1978; but in 1984, 13 holes were built and four holes were replaced to make 18. Then in 1991, the Mounds were added. This nine was designed to depict a replica of St. Andrews in Scotland. A peanut field had tons and tons of dirt relocated to create the many berms.

Although many plants have been added, a great effort has been made to preserve native trees and flowers such as Native Azaleas (Wild Honeysuckle), Persimmon, Dogwood, Red Bud, Magnolia, Carolina Jasmine, Hickory, Wax Myrtle and Winged Elm.

Today this plantation has modernized in many ways. Condominiums have been built overlooking the "Brickyard Hole". An RV park has been set up for travelers and sod grass has become the primary crop.

Visit us soon... We are ready to support the lifestyle of a camper, weekender, vacationer, snowbird, full-timer, or even a bluegrass band!


by MultiView ©2014
800-816-6710
fmca@multiview.com
www.multiview.com